Saturday, July 17, 2010

Where does this path lead too?


Often when I am on a hike and I come across a path such as this, I fantasize about where it may lead too.....maybe there will be a pristine pond with crystal clear calm water, where I will sit and have my lunch and just relax. If I am in the part of my hike where I have walked a long way and I am wondering what possessed me to go on a 7 mile hike, I hope that this path, miraculously leads to the parking lot where my car is, ha!........maybe the path leads to a field of lavender; I love lavender, smells so good, makes you feel so good. Then there are times when I want it to lead to a Starbucks so I can have a latte, no flavor please. Sometimes I imagine that it leads to the garden of Eden, with fruit trees, little ponds with bright orange fish swimming around in it, a carpet of flowers emitting delicious aromas, books littering the garden, wine, sourdough bread and lobster on a table at the end of the garden!.....Most of the time it leads to just another path bringing me back to reality, and reality is usually my aching feet, thirst, scratching my mosquito ridden body and the cursing that goes with that same thought, who's idea was this?....But as in all of the hikes, there is always a summit with an incredible view......and this, my friends is why I do this.....The view usually takes your breath away and takes all your pains away with it........
I took this picture in Knappa Oregon at the hatchery. The hike was 5 miles round trip and to be honest it is the only hike that did not have a summit, it just led to a private forested area.
The hike afforded us (Tim and I), great views of some small waterfalls, beautiful trees and wild flowers, but there was little satisfaction at the end of the trail......and I got my shoes all muddy, but those are the sacrifices you take when you hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment